Monday, November 16, 2009

I’m Just Givin Thanks, Man...

"After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives."

-
Oscar Wilde

I always get excited (and as I get older, nostalgic) this time of year. Thanksgiving is the kickoff of the holiday season, and that means one thing and one thing only to me; family. I am fortunate enough to be a member of a good ol’ fashion Southern family. For those of you not familiar, my sincerest sympathies cuz there ain't no family like a good ol' Southern family. Down South, our blood is thicker than glue. In fact, ask me where my passion for cooking comes from, and I will answer you in two words; Sunday Supper.

Growing up, Thanksgiving meant running around in the backyard with my cousins, watching Cowboys football with my Dad and uncles, and of course eating eating AND eating. I am fortunate to have cousins that are close in age with me, and our close bonds that exists today is a direct reflection of those special times. We grew up together over those meals. As adults, we have looked after each other because of those meals. Heartbreak, personal struggles, finishing school, finding jobs, military deployment, raising families. Whatever it was, we have always done it with the love and support of each other.

As we have grown up, the times that all of us are together have lessened. I may see one cousin this weekend, another the next, but all at the same time, only the holidays. This will be the second consecutive Thanksgiving that I will be hugging a cousin goodbye before he leaves to fight in Afghanistan. Hayden last year, Weston this year.


He would do anything for me, give me the shirt off his back, take a bullet for me, follow me to hell. Name the expression, and its true. I love my family, and I give thanks for for what they mean to me, and what I mean to them.

Josh, Allison, Weston, Hayden, and Alex – I Love You Guys. See ya'll in about a week. Hayden – be safe and we’ll do it all again next year.

3 comments: