Sunday, November 8, 2009

Salisbury Steak-a-thon

Today we made Salisbury Steak.  Why would we do this, you might ask?  Sounded homey, and we have never done it before, so why not?

Ground beef, and onions, and bread crumbs, and mushrooms, and eggs...oh my! 

My first memory of this dish was when I was a child in some daycare kind of thing.  I remember really liking it.  It was mild, not too beefy...thinking back it tasted like veal, but God knows I didn't know what veal tasted like when I was 5ish.  I am pretty sure that was a frozen dinner then, but the ones we made today were a far cry from frozen.  Adding the demi, more mushrooms, and serving it over mashed potatoes...yummy!
 
So, my question is this:  Is Salisbury Steak retro enough to be cool?  I would love your thoughts on this. 

I love it how things go out, and come back in.  Look at Deviled Eggs.  We put them on our menu for a fun little bite, and now they are one of our most requested apps.  Who knew?  Now, granted, Jose is doing some pretty amazing things with the deviled eggs...think guacamole, think smoked salmon with capers, think pesto.  So, they are tricked out deviled eggs, but they are still deviled eggs.

Tell me what you think, and what are some of your favorite foods that we could update and bring back.

Blog soon,
Janice

3 comments:

  1. I think your Salisbury Steak definitely sounds yummy. And I would love to try Pesto Deviled Eggs! Along the same lines of updated retro food, I would love to see your take on a pot pie or maybe spaghetti with a twist?

    I hope to return to Dallas sometime and eat at Parigi again!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amber...
    Great to hear from you! I hope school is going great, and sorry to hear about the cafeteria food. College food makes you really appreciate a good, home cooked meal. Or Parigi cooked meal, for that matter.

    Funny you mentioned the pot pie. We did a play on that a few weeks back. It was a combo chicken pot pie meets chicken and dumplings. We did it with gnocchi, and it turned out to be delicious. Homey, with a twist.

    As for the spaghetti, I think making a meatball encasing a rigatoni sounds fascinating. It also sounds really time consuming, but fun, don't you think?

    Keep me posted on what you have been up to! Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Best,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think it's retro enough to be cool. I remember being mesmerized by it when I was little. Not only was it yummy, but it came in the silver Swanson's tray...and if it was a Swanson's night then chances are I was getting to eat dinner and watch The Muppet Show at the same time.

    At the time, that was my version of heaven and anything that harkens back to that time is aces!

    ReplyDelete