Saturday, November 7, 2009

Life as a bar back

Last night I had the pleasure of working with Robert behind the bar.   Dressed like a server in all black, not chef attire, it was kind of interesting to hear people who didn't know who I was, make comments on the menu, the art, and each other.  It's a little like being a fly on the wall.  Thankfully I didn't get swatted.

We are really excited about building our bar business.  We have a small bar to begin with, so it's not going to grow massively, but we are going to have some fun experimenting with new drinks, new garnishes, and the like.

I went to this place in Chicago called The Violet Hour. http://www.theviolethour.com/  Amazing.  They make their own bitters, ice cubes that are specific to the drink they are serving, and carry no major label spirits.  Only small batch, boutique vodkas, gins, etc.  That is dedication.  You feel as if you have stepped back in time to the roaring 20s.  Check it out next time you are there.

So, tonight, I think I am going to do a repeat performance.  Help Lacy out behind the bar.  Who knows what nuggets of wisdom I may pick up from our patrons.  Can't wait to find out.

Cheers!
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment