Monday, December 27, 2010

Oh happy day!

So Sunday just keeps getting better. An adventure to Gare de Lyon (the train station from which I will be departing to Nice) gets me my tickets, and a bit of an understanding of where I will be going on Friday morning. A little complicated, I will be leaving 2 hours in advance, just to make sure I get on board. This is a peu nerve wracking, but what an adventure!

While we are getting on the train, we are entertained by a gentleman exuberantly playing Hello Dolly in the passageway on his accordion. Emily starts the trend by giving him a little tip, others follow suit, and the next thing you know, people are dancing (including the musician)on the metro platform...ahh, Paris, you gotta love it!

On to the Puce de Vanves...another flea market. Open every weekend of the year, rain or shine, we head out to search for some treasures. I find a painting of a young boy that speaks to me for 60 Euro, and Em finds a couple of gifts for her parents. We come upon a gentleman named Marcel, and he asks us in French if we are looking for anything in particular. No, just browsing, we say, and then in English he asks if he can do anything for us. Feeling giddy and good for the first time in days, I say, "Oui, have a happy day!". He smiles, and breaks into song, singing, Oh, Happy Day! Laughter, two cheek kisses, and a photo later, we have made a new friend, Marcel.

By now, we are starving,so we search out a place for lunch. Emily has a checklist of foods she must have before leaving Paris. Top of the list: Croque Madame. Mission accomplished. I have entrecoute de boeuf with mashed potatoes and peppercorn sauce. The first meal I have had in three days, it was good, but quite tough. The potatoes and sauce were just what the doctor ordered, though. Pure comfort food.

Back to Our apartment to see if we won the lottery...the food lottery, that is. You see we are on the wait list for Jim Haynes Sunday Supper Club. You may remember from last year we joined a group of strangers in a Paris apt for dinner. Well, my friend Karol Ann Thieszan told me about another such group, held at Jim's place. He has been hosting Sunday Suppers at his place for over 30 years. Here is a link to it: http://www.jim-haynes.com/gallery/index.htm. Well, we won, we won! We are headed there for dinner!

1 comment: