Sunday, December 20, 2009

Duck, Duck, Goose!

Bonjour~

It is a quiet Sunday morning in Paris, and I am getting ready to head out the door to the Sunday market on St. Germaine.

Yesterday was a big, fat day of liver. Goose, and duck, and terrines, oh my! I took my class at LCB, and learned quite a bit. It was my first time to really prepare a liver. I will spare you the details, unless you would like to know, and we will keep that to an email, I think.

The chef was the same chef I had a my spring fish course, but this class was much more of a demonstration class with the exception of the liver prep part. He wanted to make it clear how the animals are raised, and brought up a really good point: Ducks are pigs. I had forgotten this, but looking back on my childhood, I remember by duck, Daffy, was a huge snarf-a-saures. In French, they even call the duck the glutton. The duck has no problem eating and eating. The part that is a little problematic for me is the last two weeks. It is here where they are more than encouraged, let's just say. I don't know, jury is still out on my whole mindset on this one. I have an opinion for geese, but not gonna share that one right now.

Anyway, after class, I came back to Parisian Chez Provost, and met Emily, who just flew in from NYC, where she is a culinary student at the CIA. Roger, the tour guide, made the plan for the afternoon, and we headed off to Rue du Bac, and Le Bon Marche. I think I have mentioned before...that place is Neimans of the food markets. The most beautiful food, presented like jewels.

The Bresse Chicken is my latest fascination. Complete with it's head and tail feathers, this is said to be the finest tasting chiken in the world. I plan to find out. Christmas dinner menu has one course determined.

Ok, as many of you know, my search for the perfect frites is a quest I take on each year in Paris. I think we found a pretty good one. The shape was strange, but it tasted of full-on potato. It looked like the cutter used was V shaped. Anyone have a clue what I am talking about? Is this some illusive potato cutting gadget that I have been unaware of until this trip?

Speaking of potatoes, and chicken, here's a new one for you: Roasted chicken with thyme Potato Chips made by our very own Frito Lay. Sounds strange, I know. But don't try them...no one can eat just one.

Today we are going to the flea market at St. Ouen. If I can get anyone to wake up, that is. I think I will give them until the end of this post, and then, I am heading to the green market on St. Germaine to explore.
Cheers!
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment